InnovationThe Innovation Certificate program is designed for students whose interests and abilities are in entrepreneurship, innovative product design, and transformative technical products and services. The program consists of a set of courses that have been designed to encourage students to become more innovative and to generate ideas that have the potential to be breakthrough new products. These courses can be integrated into the typical students' curriculum. The courses and experiences for the students involved in this certificate program will include:
- An in-depth course on finding and understanding customer problems and creating solutions to meet those needs
- A course on creativity, including habits of mind
- Various engineering projects with a clear deliverable that solve a real customer problem
- A course on entrepreneurship
Students who wish to apply for the Innovation Certificate program must apply during their Freshman or Sophomore year.
Innovation Certificate Requirements:
- Courses, preferably taken in the following order:
- TE 230: Design Thinking/Need-Finding*^ (3 credit hours)
- TE 333: Creativity, Innovation, Vision (4 credit hours)
- TE 250: High Tech Ventures: From Idea to Enterprise (2 credit hours)
- TE 401: Developing Breakthrough Projects (2 credit hours)**
- Attendance of 2 Innovative extracurricular events from TEC approved list***
If you don't yet meet the requirements listed above but are interested in this certificate, please fill out this interest form and TEC will contact you periodically to follow-up on your progress.
* This course was previously called ENG 298: User Oriented Collaborative Design
^For non-Engineering and non-ID students, you will need to take TE 398: Innovation and Engineering Design
** For students who applied, interviewed and enrolled in the formal Innovation program as of April 2016, TE 398 Legal Issues in Engineering Entrepreneurship/TE 466 High Tech Venture Marketing can be substituted.
***SocialFuse, Entrepreneurship Forum, TEC Workshops (Financials; Value Proposition, Customer Relationships, Segments and Channels; Market Validation and Size; Putting the Plan Together), others as approved.